In a world where globalisation reigns supreme, the importance of efficient and reliable transportation solutions cannot be overstated enough. At the heart of international trade and logistics lies a humble yet transformative invention – the shipping container.
These steel boxes have not only revolutionised the way goods are transported across continents but they have also found new life in a myriad of innovative applications, transcending their original purpose. From the bustling docks of major ports to serene plots of land where they metamorphose into cosy homes or bustling cafes, shipping containers have been put to use in various ingenious ways.
A Guide to Container Sizes
This guide delves into the world of shipping container sizes, focusing on the two most common; the 20ft container and the 40ft container. Whether you are a logistics manager ensuring the smooth transit of goods, an entrepreneur eyeing a quirky pop-up shop, or a homeowner dreaming of a minimalist abode, understanding the different container sizes and their features is crucial.
We will explore the dimensions and capabilities of 20ft and 40ft containers, their distinct advantages, and the various innovative ways in which they are being utilised. Additionally, we will highlight some key features common to shipping containers, enriching your knowledge as you venture into the realm of container utilisation.
Join us as we unpack the world contained within the corrugated walls of these steel giants, and discover how they continue to shape our modern landscape.
20ft containers are versatile units measuring 20 feet in length, 8 feet in width and 8.6 feet in height. They offer approximately 1,169 cubic feet of storage space and are capable of handling a gross weight of about 66,139 pounds.
Some key features include:
- Manoeuvrability: Their compact size makes them easier to handle and position.
- Cost-Efficiency: Lower purchase and transportation costs compared to larger containers.
- Ideal for Smaller Loads: Perfect for small to medium-sized cargo loads or when space is a premium.
20ft container for sale
At KDM Hire, we regularly sell both new and used containers. A used 20ft container, for example, will cost around £1750.
40ft containers are the go-to choice for large-scale storage and transportation needs. They measure 40 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8.6 feet in height, providing around 2,385 cubic feet of storage space and a gross weight capacity of about 66,139 pounds.
Some advantages include:
- Economies of Scale: More cost-effective per cubic foot for large volumes of goods.
- More Space: Ideal for accommodating large, bulky items or a higher volume of goods.
- Standard in International Shipping: The de-facto choice for many international shipping needs.
40ft container for sale
At KDM Hire, we don’t just rent equipment, we also sell it. You can find a used 40ft container, for example, which will cost around £2500.
The standardisation of container sizes has significantly streamlined international trade, enabling the efficient transport of goods via ship, rail, and truck. When deciding on which size you need, take these features into consideration.
What Can You Use Shipping Containers For?
Shipping containers have transcended their original purpose of transporting goods, finding new life in various applications, such as:
- Storage Units: Their robust design makes them excellent for secure storage. They can be used to store household goods, business inventory, equipment, and more.
- Housing: With some modifications, they can be transformed into comfortable living spaces, or turned into welfare cabins.
- Offices: Startups and small businesses have previously turned to shipping containers into office spaces, as a cost-effective solution.
- Pop-up Shops: Their portability makes them ideal for temporary retail spaces, providing a unique shopping experience that can be used to test markets or for special events.
- Food Trucks and Eateries: Many food truck owners and restaurateurs are turning to shipping containers as a stylish and portable solution for their establishments, avoiding the financial commitment of renting traditional spaces.
- Workshops: Artisans, craftspeople, and hobbyists can convert shipping containers into fully functional workshops. They can be customised with shelving, workbenches, and electrical installations.
- Urban Farms: Innovative urban farmers have repurposed containers for cultivating crops in controlled environments, they can be outfitted with hydroponic or aquaponic systems to grow produce year-round, regardless of external weather conditions.
- Mobile Galleries and Performance Spaces: Artists and cultural organisations have utilised shipping containers for mobile galleries, performance spaces, and interactive
The adaptability of shipping containers allows for an expansive range of applications, making them a valuable resource in addressing various societal and business needs. By understanding their potential, individuals and communities can leverage shipping containers in imaginative and beneficial ways.
Shipping Container Features
Regardless of size, shipping containers come with a set of standard features that enhance their functionality and durability:
- Corrugated Steel Walls: Offer robust protection against adverse weather and external damage.
- Double Doors: Facilitate easy loading and unloading of goods.
- Marine-Grade Plywood Flooring: Provides a sturdy base for storing and transporting heavy items.
- Ventilation: Ensures a level of airflow to prevent condensation and protect cargo.
- Security Locks: Standard locking mechanisms ensure the safety and security of the contents.
Shipping containers, whether 20ft or 40ft in size, provide a host of opportunities for both traditional and innovative uses. Understanding the specifications and advantages of each size will help you make an informed decision based on your specific needs and circumstances.
Find More Container Sizes
This guide has navigated through the essential distinctions between 20ft and 40ft containers, shedding light on their unique advantages and diverse applications. At KDM Hire, we extend beyond the conventional to offer equipment rental services throughout Ireland and the sale of both new and used containers.
We regularly supply a range of container sizes, providing a seamless bridge to meet your logistical and creative pursuits, whether you’re eyeing a compact 20ft container for new premises or a spacious 40ft container for large-scale storage needs – you can find what you need in our online store.
Unsure of what container size you need? Contact us for industry-leading advice and guidance you can trust.